Pages

Monday, July 13, 2015

I Heard An Old Old Story


IMG_0360_picmonkeyed.jpg

July 13, 2015

Victory in Jesus. Ahh, how I love that old hymn.  The second stanza was always my favorite.  Sing it with me (or at least hum along):  

I heard about His healing,
Of His cleansing power revealing.
How He made the lame to walk again
And caused the blind to see;
And then I cried, "Dear Jesus,
Come and heal my broken spirit,"
And somehow Jesus came and brought
To me the victory.

Catchy tune, isn’t it?  As we sung it in church yesterday, I found myself smiling and perhaps even swaying a bit to the rhythm.  As I looked up at the choir and at the folks in the pews ahead of me, I really started smiling.  Near the front row, this younger couple in the faith was singing this song in full force, and they were definitely getting into it.  Have you ever been able to tell the expression of someone’s face when all that you could do was see the back of the head?  Maybe it’s the tilt of it or the way it bobs but as I watched the fella, I could sense the enthusiasm for the lyrics; I could feel his agreement that there is indeed victory in Jesus.  And on the sweet gal’s face?  Ahh, smiles.  Joy.  Not just because she knew this song but because she knew Who was being sung about.

What an encouragement!  To see young souls so in fellowship with the classic hymns that so many of us grew up on was a feast--and I didn’t even realize I was hungry.  As I continued singing, I felt my own voice sing more strongly, more fervently, as I too recalled how I was sought and bought by the redeeming blood of Jesus.  And that mansion He is building for me? Those streets of gold and the angels singing?  Oh yes:  I can’t wait to one sweet day sing up there the songs of victory!  It’s going to be so good!

Let’s pray!

Dear Lord, what a blessing it is to see Your kids singing songs that edify You.  To see the joy on faces as they remember dark Calvary and the price You paid so that we could live lives that are no longer chained and bound but instead are victorious ones is almost more than I can bear.  How You loved us--me!!--enough to pay the ultimate sacrifice, Lord, is beyond words but perhaps throughout the day as this melody goes through my head You will be pleased and know that I am so grateful Lord God that You saved my soul.

I love You, Lord.  Thanks for strengthening me through my church family and the preaching of Your Word.  Bless my sweet brothers and sisters, I ask, so that we may continue to draw closer to one another and to learn more about our wonderful Saviour Jesus Christ.  In His darling name I pray.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment