Pages

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

What's your problem?


Wandering Through the Bible's photo.

July 29, 2015
What's wrong with you? Seriously, if someone was to sit down with you and be prepared to actually listen--listen and not interrupt with their "I'll tell you what you need to do" spiel--what would you tell her?
One day if I am in the position again to do such, I plan to have a meeting where I have the ladies in it fill out an index card with five things on it that tell what they wish others knew about them. You see, so many of us are harboring secret pains, secret fears, hurts, haunts, and thoughts that we just wish we could share with someone. Not to whine about and not to elicit sympathy but just so that others would know that we hurt, that we need, and that we need a little help.
What about you, sister? If you were in my meeting, what would be on your list? That persistent cough that keeps you from laughing too much for fear of your tears running down your leg? Or, on a more serious level, that certain time of the year--say Mother's Day--when so many around are celebrating the fact that they had a mom who was priceless when yours wasn't so great--or maybe because you yourself haven't had the opportunity to give birth? Maybe it's that you have chronic pain that doesn't allow you to participate in activities because your body just can't function like it should and you wind up looking lazy or useless when inside you are so wishing you could get more involved? Maybe it's that your husband isn't really nice to you in private. Maybe your kid(s) treat you poorly. Perhaps you have a dream to be a _____________(fill in the blank) and you just can't get the support you need to try to pursue it.
Do these issues bother you at night, when instead of sleeping peacefully, they rage inside of you? Do your secret tears and pleas to God to make it better keep you from resting so that in the morning you wake up drained and just wish you didn't have to face the day? Does even this sweet Bible verse I've listed cause you to cringe because no matter how you try, you just can't seem to find your joy--in the morning, in the afternoon, nor at night?
Sigh. I've been there. And truthfully? Sometimes I go back for visits, even though I'd prefer to stay on top of the mountain rather than go through the valley where it can be dark and lonely. Why? Honestly? Sometimes--even though it's dreary and cold there--it's safe. I know my pain. I know my misery. I know my loneliness. No matter how many (if any) folks try to understand, they just don't get it. They don't get me. Or if they start to, I can be more than they really want to get involved with. You see, like me, they have their own pains and issues to deal with. Maybe they have enough folks in their support groups and networks of friends and don't have room for one more.
I wish I could tell you this is just a lie from the devil but...there's too much truth in there, right? So many women seem to have it all together or have their groups already sealed that an outsider may be invited in for a party or two but to be allowed full membership is just not in their plan. I wish I could tell you to just hang on; that that one soul sister is just waiting to be connected to you. I wish I could tell you that if you would just pray about these things that God would take them all away from you and have you come out on top but I can't do this. I can't give you false hopes and fake promises.
What I can do though is pray for you. I can listen. You don't want advice and you don't need any more scripture references, do you? You just want someone to listen, to care. You just want someone to hear you, to hear what you don't say as much as what you speak. So, here I am. I offer myself to you this morning to send me your lists, to write me your hearts, and to pour yourselves out in a note that will be read by an objective soul who truly only wants to try to ease your load this day. My email is hutcheson2010@yahoo.com. What you write will not be shared with anyone else other than my Father because that's the only other One Who can make a difference. I invite you to unburden yourselves today.
Let's pray.
Oh Lord, how many of your daughters are out there, reading this note, and wanting some relief? How many are enslaved to private pains and they just want some release? I know personally how much just writing things out can ease some of the pressures so--even if they don't share their stories with me--I hope that they too can find some comfort in just putting to pen and paper the things that are troubling them and that they will commit them afresh to You. If I could, I'd take those tears that they've yet to shed because they just can't let someone see them cry and I'd bottle them up and use them to nourish our dry land. Those tears, Lord, could probably ease the drought issues we are experiencing.
Father, may Your will be done today as hearts dare to open, as they cautiously approach this offer to share what's bothering them, and may You be shown mighty and powerful as You teach them that You overcame death and that we have the same power in us to do so when we trust in You. Help! We're crying out to You today. Restore us, Lord, we pray, in the name of Jesus. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment